Solemnity of St. John the Baptist

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you..."

This is the verse from the book of Jeremiah.  There is another one in Isaiah that goes like this: "I will never forget you my people.  I have carved you in the palm of my hand."

The prophecy regarding the birth of the messenger John is an encouragement to all of us men and women of good will.  We have our beginnings in God.

But the second one is equally important:  we have a mission to do - to prepare the way of the Lord.  How John did it should encourage us to take this path. 

In the gospel of Luke, "He will be great in the sight of the Lord."  The first factor to fulfilling our mission is take up the practical things that will lead us to holiness and purity of heart and enable us to be Christ - centered.  Our initiation into Christian life should give us the strength to be purified and holy.

The second should inspire us all the more to be fruitful in this world in terms of bringing people to God through reconciliation and healing.  Our dedication to the work of God should cause others to be saved.

Our lives should reflect the action of Jesus to save.


Comments