23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time, C


In search of true wisdom


Luke 14:25-33 

Wisdom may arrive at moment of realization, after we have done something wrong and we haven't done anything at all about a situation.  Only then do we learn.

In an article "5 regrets of the dying", a nurse recorded the most common regrets of the dying.  The five regrets are: "I wish I'd have the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me"; "I wish I hadn't worked so hard"; "I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings"; "I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends"; "I wish that I had let myself be happier."  These are words of wisdom coming from dying person.

And if I may suggest, Christians as we are, may I include three more to the list:

1. "I wish I had thought of others more than myself."  By thinking more about how to serve others and make them happy, we are actually contributing to our own happiness.

2.  "I wish I'd listen to the wisdom of the Church rather than myself."  In the long period the Church has existed in history, it's credibility lies in being able to withstand the test of time, taking into consideration all its frailties and mistakes.  If we don't listen to the Church, we only risk committing the same mistakes as our ancestors.

3.  "I wish I'd thought about the world to come rather than my own world here on earth."  If heaven were in my mind even when I was born, I would have spent everyday of my life getting there.

In all of these, in loving others, in the Church, and in heaven, God is present.  He is the source of true wisdom.

Comments