2nd Sunday of Easter, C

Divine Mercy

John 20:19-31


There are two experiences of the resurrection, first, the empty tomb, and second, of Jesus' appearance to the disciples. His wants us to have a firsthand experience of the resurrection.


In the readings, the presence of the Lord is manifested in the works of mercy of the apostles. It is simply Jesus’ work for he is full of gentleness and compassion.  Hence, this Sunday is also known as the Divine Mercy Sunday.


What are the marks of the mercy of God? Jesus' revelation to Sis. Faustina goes as follows:


First, “Humanity will not find peace until it turns trustfully to divine mercy.” The condition of peace in the world is simply through the mercy of God, not in the absence of war.


Second, mercy starts in feeling with the other, most specially, the suffering, and the intense desire to bring life to them.  “I feel tremendous pain when I see the sufferings of my neighbours. All my neighbours’ sufferings reverberate in my own heart; I carry their anguish in my heart in such a way that it even physically destroys me. I would like all their sorrows to fall upon me, in order to relieve my neighbour.” 


Third, the mercy of God finds its fulfillment in relying totally on Jesus to resurrect us from our sufferings and death, “Jesus, I trust in you.”


These are the marks of true mercy; and only then can we attain true peace God wishes us to have.

Comments